Namu Amida Butsu

This work is especially dedicated to Zuiken Saizo Inagaki, who sheds light on the pristine and original teachings of Jodo Shinshu (Shin Buddhism) for many people, including myself. I regard him as my soul teacher and I am very much influenced by his words and thoughts, which are deeply imbued with the Wisdom of Compassion of Amida Buddha. I read most of his writings available in Chinese language and I wish to share some of his golden words in this blog in English. Rev. George Gatenby and Mr. Gabriel Schlaefer have been kindly and untiringly assisting me to edit the translated essays so that they are readable and true to the intent of Sensei. May all partake of the wisdom of Shinshu teaching and be overpowered by the light of Amida Buddha.

Namu Amida Butsu!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sixth letter in Lamp for the Latter Ages (Matto Sho)

It is saddening that so many people, both young and old, men and women, have died this year and last. But the Tathagata taught the truth of life's impermanence for us fully, so you must not be distressed by it.

I, for my own part, attach no significance to the condition, good or bad, of persons in their final moments. People in whom shinjin is determined do not doubt, and so abide among the truly settled. For this reason their end also - even for those ignorant and foolish and lacking in wisdom - is a happy one.

You have been explaining to people that one attains birth through the Tathagata's working; it is in no way otherwise. What I have been saying to all of you from many years past has not changed. Simply achieve your birth, firmly avoiding all scholarly debate. I recall hearing the late Master Honen say, "Persons of the Pure Land tradition attain birth in the Pure Land by becoming their foolish selves." Moreover, I remember him smile and say, as he watched humble people of no intellectual pretensions coming to visit him, "Without doubt their birth is settled." And I heard him say after a visit by a man brilliant in letters and debating, "I really wonder about his birth." To this day these things come to mind.

Each of you should attain your birth without being misled by people and without faltering in shinjin. However, the practicer in whom shinjin has not become settled will continue to drift, even without being misled by anyone, for he does not abide among the truly settled.

Please relay what I have written here to the others.

Respectfully.

Bun'o [1260], Eleventh month, 13th day

Zenshin
Written at age 88

1 comment:

  1. Rev George Gatenby advised me to post this letter of Shinran Shonin for us to undertand correctly the intent of Zuiken Sensei in his sermon on the Pitch-blackness. This is his remark:

    'Just one quick word about the series by Zuiken Sensei on the question of how it will seem at death's door.

    When reading the great work that Melvin is doing, it's important to get the question in perspective. What Zuiken is pointing out through the short pieces from his experience on the subject, it must be remembered, is that the real question is whether or not Amida Buddha's shinjin is settled. This is the question that his essays and poems on this subject explore.

    Our actual experience of death is not ultimately relevant to this fundamental question. As Shinran said, 'I, for my part, attach no significance to the condition, good or bad, of persons in their final moments.' (CWS p. 531)

    Both Melvin and I agree with Shinran Shonin's perspective.'

    ReplyDelete